Hints for Answering Questions:
The section tests the basic calculation skills such as addition, subtraction, multiplication,
division, calculation of percentages, average etc.The questions of ‘age’ and direction are also
included in this test. The candidate must know the basics of geometry to solve the direction
1) Rajesh walks 7 km to the north then turns left and walks 3 km. Then takes another left
and continue walking this time another 7 km forward. How much distance in km is he
away from the starting point.
a) 10km b) 6km
c) 3km d) 2km
2) Balwant had 17 sheep. A storm in the village killed all but 7 sheep .How many was he left
a) 10 b) 6
c) 7 d) 9
3) What is the smallest number of ducks that can swim in this formation- two ducks in
front of a duck two ducks behind a duck and a duck between two ducks?
a) 3 b) 5
c) 7 d) 9
4) What is the product of all the numbers in thedial of a telephone?
a) 1,58,480 b) 1,59,450
c) 1,59,480 d) None of those
5) A group of 1200 persons consisting of captains and soldiers is travelling in a train.
For every 15 soldiers there is one captain. The number of captains in the group is
a) 85 b) 80
c) 75 d) 70
6) Aruna cut a cake into two halves and cuts one half into smaller pieces of equal size.
Each of the small pieces is twenty grams in weight. If she has seven pieces of the cake in all with her, how heavy was the original cake?
a) 120 grams b) 140 grams
c) 240 grams d) 280 grams
7) First bunch of bananas has ¼ again as many bananas as a second bunch. If the second
bunch has 3 bananas less than the first bunch, then the number of bananas in the first bunch
a) 9 b) 10
c) 12 d) 15
8) At the end of a business conference the ten people present all shake hands with each
other once. How many handshakes will there be altogether?
a) 20 b) 45
c) 55 d) 90
9) A student got twice as many sums wrong as he got right. If he attempted 48 sums in all,
how many did he solve correctly.
a) 12 b) 16
c) 18 d) 24
10) There were 28 people at last week’s board meeting. If the ratio of men to women was
4:3, how many women were at the meeting?
a) 16 b) 12
c) 7 d) 4
11) At a certain corporation, the ratio of clerical workers to executives is 7 to 2. If a combined
total of 81 clerical workers and executive workers for that corporation, how many clerical workers are there?
a) 9 b) 14
c) 18 d) 63
12) Last Year, there were 720 crimes committed in the ninth precinct. These crimes involved
theft, rape, and drugs in the ration of 4:2:3, How many crimes involved drugs?
a) 80 b) 160
c) 240 d) 320
13) A unit price is a ratio that compares the price of an item to its unit of measurement. To
determine which product is the better buy, calculate each one’s unit price. Which of these five boxes of Klean-O Detergent is the best buy?
a) Travel-size: Rs. 100 for 5 Kg.
b) Small: Rs. 200 for 11 KG.
c) Regular: Rs. 400 for 22 Kg.
d) Large: Rs. 700 for 40 Kg.
14) Rimmy pulse rate is 19 beats every 15 seconds. What is her rate in beats per minute?
a) 76 b) 60
c) 57 d) 45
15) If you write down all the numbers from 1 to 100, then how many times do you write 3?
a) 11 b) 18
c) 20 d) 21
16) The total number of digits used in numbering the pages of a book having 366 pages is
a) 732 b) 990
c) 1098 d) 1305
17) In a garden, there are 10 rows and 12 coloumns of mango trees. The distance between two trees is 2 meters and a distance of one meter is left from all sides of the boundary of the garden. The length of the garden is
a) 20 m b) 22m
c) 24m d) 26m
18) A farmer built a fence around his square plot. He used 27 fence poles on each side of the
square. How many poles did he need altogether?
a) 100 b) 104
c) 108 d) None of these
19) An enterprising businessman earns an income of Re.1 on the first day of his business. On every subsequent day, he earns on income which is just double of that made on the previous day. One the 10th day of business, his income is
a) Rs. 29 b) Rs. 210
c) Rs. 10 d) Rs. 102
20) In a family, the father took ¼ of the cake and he had 3 times as much as each of the
other members had. The total number of family members are
a) 3 b) 7
c) 10 d) 12
21) Three friends had dinner at a restaurant. When the bill was received, Amita Paid 2/3
as much as Veena paid and Veena paid 1/3 as much as Tanya paid. What fraction of the
bill did Veena pay?
a) 1/3 b) 3/11
c) 12/31 d) 5/8
22) Find the number which when added to itself 13 times, gives 112.
a) 7 b) 8
c) 9 d) 11
23) A monkey climbs 30 feet at the beginning of each hour and rests for a while when he slips
back 20 feet before he again starts climbing in the beginning of the next hour. If he begins
his ascent at 8.00 a.m., at what time will he first touch a flag at 120 feet from the ground?
a) 4 p.m. b) 5 p.m.
c) 6 p.m. d) None of these
24) In a city, 40% of the adults are illiterate while 85% of the children are literate. If the ratio
of the adults to that of the children is 2:3, then what percent of the population is literate?
a) 20% b) 25%
c) 50% d) 75%
25) If every 2 out of 3 readymade shirts need alterations in the sleeves, and every 4 out of
5 need in the body, how many alterations will be required for 60 shirts?
a) 24 b) 123
c) 133 d) 143
26) If a clock takes seven seconds to strikes seven, how long will it take to strike ten?
a) 7 seconds
b) 9 seconds
c) 10 seconds
d) None of these
Directions: Mr and Mrs. Sharma have two children Asha and Shahsi.Shashi married Radha,
daughter of Mrs. Mahajan. Suresh, son of Mrs. Mahajan marries Rita. Sonu and Rocky are born
to Suresh and Rita. Uma and Sudha are the daughters of Shashi and Radha.
27) What is the surname of Sonu?
a) Mahajan b) Sharma
c) Shashi d) None of these
28) How is Suresh related to Sudha?
a) brother b) maternal uncle
c) uncle d) cousin
29) What is Sudha’s relation to Asha?
a) sister b) niece
c) aunt d) daughter
30) How is Sonu related to Mr. Mahajan?
a) son-in-law b) grandson
c) son d) none of these
31) Rita drives to the north of her place of stay at A and after traveling 25 km finds that she
has driven in the wrong directions. She then turns to her right and travels 2 km and then
she again turns to the right and drives straight another 25 km. How much distance has she
now to cover to go back to the starting point?
a) 25 km b) 2km
c) 4km d) 40 km
32) Rana travels 10 km to the north, turns left and travels 4 km and then again turns right
and covers another 5 km and then turns right and travels another 4 km. How far is he from
the right starting point?
a) 15 km b) 4 km
c) 5 km d) 10 km
33) A taxi driver commenced his journey from a point and drove 10 km towards north and
turned to his left and drove another 5 km. After waiting to meet a friend here, he turned
to his right and continued to drive another 10 km. He has covered a distance of 25 km so
far, but in which direction would he be now?
a) North b) East
c) South d) West
34) A tourist drives 10 km towards east and turns to the right hand and drives 3 km. Then he
drives towards west (turning to his right) 3 km. He then turns to his left and drives 2 km. Finally he turns to his right and travels 7 km. How far is he from his starting point and in which direction would he be?
a) 10 km, East b) 9 km, North
c) 8 km, West d) 5 km, West
35) Of the 30 Officers on traffic duty, 20% didn’t work on Friday. How many officers worked
a) 6 b) 10
c) 12 d) 24
36) After running 1½ miles on Wednesday, a runner had covered 75% of her planned route. How many miles did she plan to run that day?
a) 2 b) 2¼
c) 2½ d) 2¾
37) Mr. Rakesh makes his special blends of coffee by mixing espresso beans with Colombian beans in the ratio of 4 to 5. How many K.g. of espresso beans does he need to make 18 K.g. of his special blend?
a) 4 b) 5
c) 8 d) 9
38) A recipe calls for 3 cups of sugar and 8 cups of flour. If only 6 cups of flour are used, how
many cups of sugar should be used?
a) 1 b) 2
c) 2¼ d) 4
39) The average of eight different numbers is 5. If 1 is added to the largest number, what is
the resulting average of the eight numbers?
a) 5.1 b) 5.125
c) 5.25 d) 5.5
40) Lieutenant James made an average of 3 arrests per week for 4 weeks. How many
arrests does she need to make in the fifth week to raise her average to 4 arrests per
a) 4 b) 5
c) 8 d) 7
41) The average of 3 unique numbers is 50. If the lowest number is 30, what is the sum of
the other two numbers?
a) 100 b) 110
c) 120 d) 150
42) A is 3 years younger than C but one year older than D. D is one year older than B but 4 years younger than C. C is 15 years old. What is the age of B in years?
a) 10 b) 11
c) 12 d) 13
43) Today is Varun’s birthday. One year from today he will be twice as old as he was 12
years ago. How old is Varun today?
a) 20 years b) 22 years
c) 25 years d) 27 years.
44) A is 3 years older to B and 3 years younger to C, while B and D are twins. How many
years older is C to D?
a) 2 b) 3
c) 6 d) 12
45) 12 year old Manick is three times as old as his brother Rahul. How old will Manick be
when he is twice as old as Rahul?
a) 14 years b) 16 years
c) 18 years d) 20 years.
46) A woman says, “If you reverse my own age, the figures represent my husband’s age. He
is, of course, senior to me and the difference between our ages is one-eleventh of their
sum.” The woman’s age is
a) 23 years b) 34 years
c) 45 years d) None of these.
47) In a town, 65% people watched the news on television, 40% read a newspaper and 25%
read a newspaper and watched the news on television also. What percent of the people
neither watched the news on television nor
read a newspaper?
a) 5 b) 10
c) 15 d) 20
48) Raj starts from his office facing west and walks 100 metres straight then takes a right
turn and walks 100 metres. Further he takes a left turn and walks 50 metres. In which
direction is Raj now from the starting point?
a) North-East b) South-West
c) North d) North-West
49) Mohan starts from his house and walks 4 km. straight. He then turns towards his right
and walks 2 kms. He turns again to his right and walks 2 kms. If he is North West now,
then in which direction did he start in the beginning?
a) North b) South
c) North-West d) West
50) A number consists of two digits. The digit at the ten’s place is two times the digit at the
one’s place. The number, formed by reversing the digits is 27 less than the original
number. Then the original number is
a) 49 b) 94
c) 63 d) 36
51) A number consists of two digits of which the ten’s digit exceeds the one’s digit by 6. The
number itself is equal to ten times the sum of digits. Then the number is
a) 42 b) 60
c) 15 d) 51
52) A number consists of two digits. The digit at the ten’s place is two times the digit at the
one’s place. The number formed by reversing the digits is 36 less than the original number.
Then the original number is
a) 84 b) 63
c) 48 d) 42
53) A boy is now one-third as old as his father Twelve years hence he will be half as old as
his father. Then the present age of the boy is
a) 10 years b) 11 years
c) 12 years d) 13 years
54) 5 years ago, the age of a man was 7 times the age of his son. The age of the man will
be 3 times the age of his son in five years from now. How old is the man now?
a) 30 years b) 40 years
c) 50 years d) 60 years
55) A said to B,” I am 15 years older than you. After 5 years my age will be double of your
age.” Then the present age of A is
a) 10 years b) 15 years
c) 20 years d) 25 years
56) The present age of Ram is 20 years and of his father is 40 years. How many years ago
the age of his father was three times of his age?
a) 10 years b) 8 years
c) 6 years d) 4 years
57) The age of Deepak and Vikas are in the ratio 7:5. Ten years hence, the ratio of their ages
will be 9:7. Then the present age of Deepak is
a) 20 years b) 25 years
c) 30 years d) 35 years.
1- c ,16- b, 31- b, 46- c
2 -c ,17 -b ,32 -a ,47 -d
3 -a ,18- b, 33- a, 48- d
4- d, 19- a ,34- d, 49- d
5- c, 20- c ,35- d, 50- c
6- c, 21- b, 36- a, 51- b
7- d ,22- b, 37- c, 52- a
8- b, 23- c, 38- c, 53- c
9- b ,24 -d ,39- b ,54 -b
10- b, 25- c, 40- c, 55- d
11 -d ,26 -d ,41-c ,56 -a
12 -c, 27- a ,42- a, 57- d
13 -d ,28 -b ,43 -c
14 -a, 29- b ,44- c
15 -c ,30- b ,45 -b