EIL Placement Paper
Company: Engineers India Limited
Am Rohan Shetty, took the engineers india exam for management trainee on the July 11,2010 at Kochi.My subject is mechanical engineering. There were a total of 150 questions : 50 questions frm English,aptitude and gk,100 questions from subject.1 mark for a correct answer and 0.25 negative mark.The aptitude questions take time and akin to the type normally seen in management questions. The gk part was more concentrated on current affairs and rather than Indian history ,geography etc.English part needs some preparation and was not easy.The vocabulary part was tough but only about 5 questions ,should be easy for those who prepare for mba entrance I think. In many cases I have only indicated the portion from which the questions came as the exact wording and options are hard to remember.
For the subject part, majority of the questions were from refrigeration and thermodynamics. Many questions like figure based and assertion reason type, which of these statements are true etc will check the depth of our knowledge of the fundamentals , mugging objective questns from guides will not help to answer majority of the questions though there were some typical questions usually asked. There maybe mistakes in the way I remembered the questions but the specific subject areas from where they were asked is clear.
Aptitude questions were puzzle type
1. 2 ppl A and B play a game with 10 matchsticks.A plays first.Aperson can take a max of 3 matchsticks during a chance.The person who has the least number of matchsticks at the end of the game loses.
How many matchsticks must A take each time to ensure a win?
If A takes only 2 matchsticks in the 1st chance,how many shud he take in each subsequent chance to ensure a win?
Some 4 questions based on this puzzle.
2. A boy has 127 rupees with him in 1 rupee coins.He must fill it in piggy banks so that he can hand out any amount without breaking open the piggy bank.what r th min number of piggy banks required?
A man purchases different materials at different prices and mixes them to make a slurry.Total cost
3. meanings of clandestine,indolence,
4 .The actors speech was so………that the audience got……….
5.onam is the festival of………….
6.Shashi tharoor is from which constituency
7. which award did Hilary mantel get?
8. which banks caption is the world’s local bank
9. which film won 2009 oscar for best film?
10. first female director to win Oscar?
11. world disability day
12. what is FISA?
1. Refrigeration and air conditioning theory,problems on cooling capacity,psychrometric chart – abt 20 questions
2. Thermodynamics,bell coleman cycle,
match the following with air standard cycle and their names
3. how do you compare 2 different engines of same BP a)specific fuel consumption,b)BMEP etc
4. identify the absorption dynamometer
5. match code names of refrigerants
6. what are the qualities of a refrigerant
7. find transmissibility if w/wn =1.414
8. SIMO chart
10. match therbligs with their symbols
11. what is the allowance given the tolerance
12. which operation sequence gives best finish
b)drilling,grinding,lapping,drilling,grinding electroplating etc
13. given absolute jet velocity and effective jet velocity,find propulsive efficiency
14. at 100% propulsive efficiency,what is the thrust
15. The shear stress due to torsion at the centre of a shaft will be…..
16. given the bending moment diagram of overlapping shaft,find the points of contraflexure
17. how is capillary rise affected by diameter of tube?
18. in circular open channel what is the hydraulic radius for max efficiency
19. question regarding flow affected by angle of weirs
20. given stream function,which equation of flow can be irrotational
21. 3 questions frm stream function
22. in inviscid flow, the stream lines are parallel.and velocity lines
what is the pattern formed by grid
23. method to trap light impurities in molten metal for casting
24. which of the following contains cobalt
25. by what process do you cut internal teeth
26. what is used to transmit power btwn shafts which are neither parallel nor intersect. A)spiral gear b)Oldham coupling
27. given figure of riveted sheets,which all rivets are most likely to fail
28. what is the purpose of coating given on electrode of arc welding
29. match the metals and different joining processes
Mild steel welding
Tin and lead soldering
30. what will help to reduce Detonation in engines SI considering spark timing advance and 10% richer mixture
31. what happens to relative humidity on sensible heating?
32. given the flow field equation,identify the flow
33. in a perfect frame with 5 joints,the number of links present
34. given the diagram of a 6 link mechanism,find number of degrees of freedom
35. balancing of a v engine ,diagram was given
36. in thermosyphon colling, which of these statements are correct
Heat transfer from air to cylinder by convection and conduction
Most heat transfer in radiator occurs by radiation
Most heat transfer in radiator happens by convection
37. bearing characteristic number in terms of fluid pressure
38. eight assertion reason type questions like mohr’s circle etc
39. what is considered while designing rim of flywheel
40. when gas in piston cylinder assembly expands reversibly at constant pressure,what happens
a)gas will lose heat
b)gas does work frm stored energy
c)the process proceeds adiabatically
41. in a simple closed cycle what is the measure of the difference btwn the heat given to the system and the work output obtained
B0 internal energy
c) entropy etc
42. a diagram of a composite wall of two different materials of conductivity k1 and k2 and the temperature gradient across wall is given.say if
43. function of governor ,flywheel etc as match the following
44. what is the effect of increasing pressure angle on gear tooth?
45. with increase in which angle does shear force increase in a tool a)rake angle b)side relief angle etc
46 . what is the true shear stress of a particular grade of mild steel,forgot the name
47. how do we decide if using fins will improve heat dissipation,the equation criteria concerned
48. which of these statements are true based on zeroth law,1st and 2nd laws
49. effect of regeneration on specific output
50. what is used to measure altitude of celestial objects?
51. match the following to express dedundum,addendum,clearance of a 14.5 pressure angle gear in terms of pd
52. what is the ratio of heat received by a body to the total heat radiated by it think it was about view factor
53. Where is cavitation most likely to occur in the centrifugal pump?
a)in the impeller
b)within involute casing
) at entry to impeller
d) at exit of impeller etc
54. given coefft of velocity and coefft of discharge in a venturimeter,find the pressure drop in the device
55. match the following question regarding different keys and their purpose
56. in SHM, identify the acceleration and velocity equations
57. which chart helps to know the load on the machine and present work progress
a) man machine chart
c) machine load chart etc
58. when a cylinder rotates in a fluid
a)1 stagnation point is formed
b)2 stagnation points are formed
c) no stagnation points are formed
59. problem to find the availability given the required data
60. on what factors does hammer blow depend in relation to position of centre of gravity
EIL Placement Paper
Engineers India Limited is a government corporation. It is under the ownership of Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, Government of India. It was set up in 1965 to provide engineering and related technical services for petroleum refineries and other industrial projects..visit offical website of EIL for more details..