Company: HCL Technologies
HCL Placement Paper January 2011 :-
1. A merchant sells an item at a 20 percent discount. but still makes a gross profit of 20 percent of the cost. What percent of cost would be gross profit on the item have been if it had been sold without the discount?
(A) 20% (B) 40% (C) 50% (D) 60% (E) 66.6%
Ans :c) 50%
2. A millionaire bought a job lot of hats 1/4 of which were brown. The millionaire sold 2/3 of the hats including 4/5 of the brown hats. What fraction of the unsold hats were brown.
(A)1/60 (B)1/15 (C)3/20 (D)3/5 (E)3/4
3. How many integers n greater than and less than 100 are there such that, if the digits of n are reversed, the resulting integer is n+9 ?
(A)5 (B)6 (C)7 (D)8 (E)9
4. An investor purchased a shares of stock at a certain price. If the stock increased in price Rs 0.25 per share and the total increase for the x shares was Rs 12.50, how many shares of stock had been purchased ?
(A)25 (B)50 (C)75 (D)100 (E)125
5. At a special sale, 5 tickets can be purchased for the price of 3 tickets. If 5 tickets are purchased at the sale, the amount saved will be what percent of the original price of the 5 tickets?
(A)20% (B)33.3% (C)40% (D)60% (E)66.6%
6. Working independently, Tina can do a certain job in 12 hours. Working independently, Ann can do the same job in 9 hours. If Tina works independently at the job for 8 hours and then Ann works independently, how many hours will it take Ann to complete the remainder of the jobs?
(A)2/3 (B)3/4 (C)1 (D)2 (E)3
7. A decorator bought a bolt of d m number of red chips in any one stack ?
(A)7 (B)6 (C)5 (D)4 (E)3
Answer :C) 5
8. In a murder case there are four suspects P,Q,R,S. Each of them makes a statement. They are
p: “I had gone to the theatre with S at the time of the murder”.
q: “I was playing cards with P at the time of the murder”.
r: “Q didn’t commit the murder”.
s: “R is not the murderer”.
Assuming the only one of the above statement is false and that one of them is the murderer, who is the murderer?
d) Cann’t be concluded
and: E.) r and s are true as first two statements are contradictory. thus either P or S is murderer. as q is not murderer, he is telling truth that P was with him. hence S is murderer.
8. Mohan earned twice as much as Deep. Yogesh earned rs.3/- more than half as much as deep. If the amounts earned by Mohan,Deep,Yogesh are M,D,Y respectively, Which of the following is the correct ordering of these amounts?
a) M < D < Y b) M < Y < D c) D < M < Y d) It cann't be determined from the information given e) D < Y < M ans d) 9. Statistics indicate that men drivers are involved in more accidents than women drivers. Hence it may be concluded that a) sufficiently information is not there to conclude anything b) Men are actually better drivers but drive more frequently c) Women Certainly drive more cautiously than Men d) Men chauvinists are wrong about women's abilities. e) Statistics sometimes present a wrong picture of things 10. What does the hex number E78 correspond to in radix 7 ? a) 12455 b) 14153 c) 14256 d) 13541 e) 13112 Ans :d 11. Given that A,B,C,D,E each represent one of the digits between 1 and 9 and that the following multiplication holds: A B C D E X 4 E D C B A what digit does E represent ? a) 4 b) 6 c) 8 d) 7 Ans: c 12. HCL prototyping machine can make 10 copies every 4 seconds. At this rate, How many copies can the machine make in 6 min.? a) 900 b) 600 c) 360 d) 240 e) 150 Ans: a 13. if a=2,b=4,c=5 then a+b c c a+b a) 1 b) 11/30 c) 0 d) -11/30 e) -1 ans: b 14. 10^2(10^8+10^8) =10^4 a) 2(10)^4 b) 2(10)^6 c) 10^8 d) 2(10)^8 e) 10^10 Ans: b 15. Worker W produces n units in 5 hours. Workers V and W, workers independently but at the same time, produce n units in 2 hours. how long would it take V alone to produce n units? a) 1 hr 26 min b) 1 hr 53 min c) 2 hr 30 min d) 3 hr 30 min e) 3 hr 20 min Ans: d (e) 16. if q <> 0 and k = qr/2 -s, then what is r in terms of k,q,s?
a) 2k+s q
b) 2sk q
c) 2(k-s) q
d) 2k+sq q
e) 2(k+s) q
Six knights – P,Q,R,S,T and U – assemble for a long journey in two traveling parties. For security, each travelingparty consists of at least two knights. The two parties travel by separate routes, northern and southern. After one month, the routes of the northern and southern groups converge for a brief time and at that point theknights can, if they wish, rearrange their traveling parties before continuing, again in two parties along separatenorthern and southern routes. Throughout the entire trip, the composition of traveling parties must be in accord with the following conditions:
P and R are deadly enemies and, although they may meet briefly, can never travel together. p must travel in the same party with S Q can’t travel by the southern route U can’t change routes
17. If one of the two parties of knights consists of P and U and two other knights and travels by the southern route, the other members of this party besides P and U must be
a) Q and S
b) Q and T
c) R and S
d) R and T
e) S and T
18. If each of the two parties of knights consists of exactly three members, which of the following is not a possible traveling party and route?
a) P,S,U by the northern route
b) P,S,T by the northern route
c) P,S,T by the southern route
d) P,S,U by the southern route
e) Q,R,T by the southern route
19. If one of the two parties of knights consists of U and two other knights and travels by the northern route, the other members of this party besides U must be
a) P and S
b) P and T
c) Q and R
d) Q and T
e) R and T
20. If each of the two parties of knights consists of exactly three members of different pX-Mozilla-Status: 0009by the northern route, then T must travel by the
a) southern route with P and S
b) southern route with Q and R
c) southern route with R and U
d) northern route with Q and R
e) northern route with R and U
21. If, when the two parties of knights encounter one another after a month, exactly one knight changes from one traveling party to the other traveling party, that knight must be
22. How many of the integers between 25 and 45 are even ?
23. If taxi fares were Rs 1.00 for the first 1/5 mile and Rs 0.20 for each 1/5 miles thereafter. The taxi fare for a 3-mile ride was
Answer :d)Rs 3.80
24. A computer routine was developed to generate two numbers (x,y) the first being a random number between 0 and 100 inclusive, and the second being less than or equal to the square root of the first. Each of the following pair satisfies the routine EXCEPT
Answer : A) (99.10)
25. A warehouse had a square floor with area 10,000 sq.meters. A rectangular addition was built along one entire side of the warehouse that increased the floor by one-half as much as the original floor. How many meters did the addition extend beyond the original buildings ?