Company: Tech Mahindra Ltd
This is Pawan Agarwal. I was selected in MBT (TechMahindra) on 07/05/2006 through campus interview. I am a student of 3rd year in the department of Applied Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering in Siliguri Institute of Technology.
I am going to tell you about the questions asked in the interview round (technical and personal). Before that let me tell u about the aptitude test.
There were 5 sections- 3 on English and 1 each on verbal and non-verbal ability. In total there were 70 questions to be answered in 60 mins. There were no negative marking & still u have to be very fast. The test was online.
For the English sections there were questions mainly related to tenses, voices and general English usage. It was very easy but tricky.
Then were at least 6-7 puzzles from Shakuntala Devi together with series completion (tough one & time consuming) and quantitative aptitude.
So go through Shakuntala Devi, R.S. Agarwal, Arun Sharma and Muhammad Muneer at least 9-10 times.
For me and some of my friends HR round was held before the technical round.
It was a long session of about 30 minutes duration.
1. Tell us something about yourself or your family? Better tell about yourself. Emphasize on your software knowledge.
2. Being a core electronics student why have you come to software sector? Because software industry is on the boom and it is one of the largest employer. To get a chance in core sector I have to wait till the end of 4th year and also there are hardly 3-4 vacancies per company.
3. Can you prove yourself if u get a chance in core sector?
4. How did you prove yourself in the aptitude test?
5. How did you like the MBT aptitude test? Say something positive.
6. What are ur college hours and no. of periods /day?
7. You have come for a software industry. What extra have u done for this? I said I have done a course in visual basic and diploma in computer application.
8. What extra r u planning to do and why? I said I will doing a course in JAVA after the 6th sem exams.
9. There is a gap of one year between 12th and B.Tech. Why? Be prepared with some solid reasons if u have any gap.
10. What r ur strengths & weaknesses?
11. How do u pursue ur strength? I said I give tuitions after my college hours.
12. How many students do u teach and of which classes?
13. How many students do u teach?
14. What do u charge from them?
15. How did u establish ur market in this field?
16. How many of ur students continue till class 10?
17. How do u go to your college? I said I have a bike.
18. When did u buy it and did u buy it of ur own money?
19. What measures have u taken to overcome ur weakness?
20. Tell us something about ur family background? Be proud enough to introduce ur family.
At last he asked me for my CV. After seeing my CV he questioned me about GATE as I have qualified GATE 2006.
21. U have qualified GATE. Then why do u want to join us?
22. After u complete ur M.Tech. u will better opportunities in life?
23. What is ur percentile score?
It was also a long session of about 35 minutes duration. Try to divert the interviewer to some other subject if don?t know the one asked by him. There is no such question of favorite subject as it used to be some years back. So now u have to be Jack of all trades, master of none.
1. Why don?t u tell something about ur self?
2. Tell something about ur family?
3. Do you know control system?
4. What is PLL? Explain its working?
5. What r the subjects specific to ur department? I said Transducer and sensors, microprocessor 8085, digital electronics, industrial instrumentation, control system, process control. Tell only those subjects on which u r confident bcoz u will be fired on those subjects especially. So be careful.
6. Draw the pinout diagram of 8085.
7. Explain the function of each pin?
8. Explain the working of microprocessor?
9. Explain the different types of interrupt?
10. How a microprocessor does handle an interrupt?
11. Why is Trap non-maskable?
12. Distinguish between parallel and serial transmission.
13. Distinguish between serial and parallel communication.
14. Diff between single bit error & burst error.
15. Suppose u have two computers & u want to transfer data between them but u don?t have LAN or any wired connection. Which port will u use?
16. Which port will u use to perform serial data transfer?
17. What are the storage classes in C?
18. Difference between auto and static storage class?
19. 3-4 dry runs relating to storage class.
20. Diff between structure & union?
21. How will u declare a structure & union?
22. Diff between array & pointer?
23. char *p & int *p. what is the size of p? Be confident & thorough with C.
24. 4-5 dry runs on pointers.
25. How will u allocate memory dynamically?
26. What is the size of char ant int?
27. Explain the operation of a recursive function call. Explain with the help of a stack.
28. How will you allocate memory for 50 characters using malloc( )?
29. Which is better: dynamic memory allocation or static memory allocation & why?
30. What is enumeration and typedef?
31. Say about data types available in c?
32. Where would u like to see urself after one year of joining TechMahindra?