Company: Tata Consultancy Services (TCS)
TCS Latest Placement Papers Jan 2011
1. Complete the series 26, 19, 17, 13, 11, , 8, 7
Ans : 9
2.Convert the decimal number 562 into base 7
Ans : 1432
3.If QJFBTF is coded as PLEASE then HBJO can be coded as
Ans : GAIN
4.Find odd one? a) SQL Server b) Ingress c) Oracle d) DB2 e) JAVA
Ans : JAVA
5.Find odd one? a) SMTP b) ARP c)WAP d)HTTP e)BAAN
Ans : BAAN
6.Which of the following is exact power of 4?
a) 4192 b) 2340 c) 4096 (Ans: C)
7. What is the largest prime number that can be stored in a 6 bit register?
Ans :61 Sol: 2^6 ==64 (with in 64 largest prime no:61)
8. Which will give good standard deviation?
a). 4,0,-4,0,4 b) 4,-4,4,- 4,4 c) 4,4,4,4,4
9. Which shape will be obtained by using the following values for X and Y
X 0 10 100 1000 9999
Y 0.00001 1.02 1.72 3.00 4.72
Ans: Y= log10(X)
10. What are the number of edges, number of vertices and number of faces of a planar cube among the following options?
a) 6, 6, 6 b) 4,8,12 c) 12, 8, 6 d) 4,6,12 (Ans: C)
11. What is the value of the following expression M(373,5)+T(7.7)+R(4.4)-T(3.6)
Where M- MODULAS R- ROUNDOFF T- TRUNCATE (Ans: 11) Sol: 3 + 7+ 4-3 ==11
12. What is the value of the expression % # % (6) + # % # (6) Where % means DOUBLING and # means RECIPROCAL
13. Match the following (this type of question but not same) A B
1. Mammal, cow -> a. A type of
2. Snake reptile -> b. A part of
3. Roof Building -> c. Not a type of
4. Mushroom Vegetables -> d. A superset of
(Ans: 1-d, 2- c, 3-b, 4-a)
14. If G(0) = -1 G(1)= 1 and G(N)=G(N-1) G(N-2) then what is the value of G(6)?
15.If A= 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1
B= 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 1
C= 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1
Then find the value of [A U C] U B and express it in decimal. (Ans: 151)
16. If A, B, C are the mechanisms used separately to reduce the wastage of fuel by 30%,40%, 10%.What will be the fuel economy if they were used combine?
1.68.4 2.62.2 3.58 4.27 (Ans: 62.2)
sol: (70/100)*(60/100)*(90/100)*100=37.8 Eco = (100-37.8) =62.2
17. Which of the following straight lines are perpendicular to each other?
1)2x+y=8 2)x=4 3)y=6 4)2y=x+3
a)1, 3 b)2, 3 c)1, 4 d)3, 4 e)None
18. In Madras , temperature at noon varies according to t^2/2 + 4t + 12
(Read is as: t square /2 + 4t +12), where t is elapsed time. Find how much percentage of temperature is
increased (or decreased) between 5pm and 8pm. (HINT: substitute&subtact values from 5 )
19.The size of a program is N. And the memory occupied by the program is given by M = square root of 100N. If the size of the program is increased by 1% then how much more memory is required now?
a) 1.0% b) 2.6% c) 0.5% d)1.4% e)2.7%
20.A power unit is there by the bank of a river of 900 meters. A cable is made from power unit to power a plant opposite to that of the river of 2000mts. The cost of the cable below water is Rs. 5/- per meter and cost of cable on the bank is Rs. 4/- per meter. Then find out the amount to be invested to connect those two stations.
Ans : 8500
21.A can copy 50 papers in 10 hours while both A & B can copy 70 papers in 10 hours. Then how many hours required for B to copy 26 papers?
Ans : 13
22.A sequence of let ters is given. We ve to find out how many V s are there under the condit ion that , S should be followed by V and should not be followed by F V,S,F,T,W,E,L,B,V,S,L,L,K,S,M,S,V,F,L,S,D,I , Like that .
23. In a two-dimensional array, X (7, 9), with each element occupying 8 bytes of memory, with the address of the first element X (1, 1)=3000; find the starting address of the element at X (5,8). (Ans: 3172)
24.In the word ORGANISATIONAL, if the first and second, third and forth,fifth and sixth, etc words are interchanged, what would be the 12th letter from right?
Ans : A
25.A Flight takes off at 4 A.M from North- East direction and travels for 7 hours to reach the destination in the North-West direction. Some latitude and longitude of source and destination given. Find the local arrival time of destination? ( I don t know how to find it)
26. Four 2X2 mat rices were given. We ve to find out which of them is a singular matrix?
(Hint: try for which matrix det (A) becomes zero (ad bc).
27. (Momentum*Velocity)/(Acceleration * distance)
a) Newton b) Mass c) Force
28.Based on a Venn diagram. 3 problems were given.
29.A bar chart was been given. Two questions based on this.
30.One question on curves.
II .Critical reasoning will be for 12 marks.
In critical section there are three passages, each passage carries 4 marks.