1) APTITUDE TEST:
Questions = 82 ; time limit = 90 minutes. no negative marking. Offline (paper & pen) test and a PSYCHOMETRY TEST also.
Section 1: VERBAL (32 Questions, 20 minutes)
Directions for questions 1-10: Find the synonyms of the following words
A. Laziness B. carelessness C. negligence D. meticulousness
A. unimportant B. glorious C. shameful D. None of these
A. Unproductive B. scarce C. abundant D. None of these
A. Vanquish B. repudiate C. retain, D. None of these
A. clay B. obstacle C. dwelling D. bind
A. behavior B. hold down C. relieve D. condemn
A. make a cavity B. displease C. humiliate D. relapse
A. reminiscence B. category C. fallacy D. stupor
A. provocation B. amplitude C. reflex D. escutcheon
A. mollify B. motivate C. profound D. coax
Directions for questions 11-20:
Find the Antonyms of the following words
A. Reprove B. reprimand C. Approve D. rebuke
A. Reckless B. Cautious C. prudent D. guarded
A. Momentum B. thrust C. motivation D. Inertia
A. Dormant B. Overt C. embryonic D. suppressed
A. demonstration B. expression C. obscurity D. symptom
A. Importune B. implore C. crave D. Grant
A. Fervent B. passionate C. Apathetic D. None of these
A. Whim B. impulse C. quirk D. None of these
A. extend B. fall C. fall off D. drop
A. aspire to B. abjure C. begrudge D. crave
Directions for Questions 21-26: Read the passage and answer the questions that follow on the basis of the information provided in the passage.
A leading Indian industrialist in a recent article on ways to strengthen India’s economy has drawn attention to the problems of inflation and industrial sickness among other things. One of the main reasons for industrial sickness in our country has been the fact that business and industrial managers, have not been able to look beyond the immediate future. They have been too preoccupied with their attempts to report favorable results for the current year higher profits and larger dividends to the share holders. The planning horizon has hardly ever exceeded five years. Investments have been inadequate for new plants and towards diversification and expansions. Modernisation and asset creation has seriously lagged behind. In business, growth is needed for survival; one has to grow if one does not want to be wiped out This is particularly true today with liberalisation of imports and increasing competition. More over, growth and higher productivity create employment and higher employment creates larger markets both for industrial and consumer products. It was Hentry Ford who brought home the need for the creation of larger and a more stable middle class, that is, a larger number of people who can afford more and more of goods and services. Even after forty years of independence our industrialists have not been able to shed the petty shopkeeper’s mentality and our highly educated management has tagged along merrily and without concern.
21. Which of the following short comings of Indian industrialists has been highlighted by the author ?
A) The invest unreasonable high amount on diversification and expansion.
B) They are more concerned for immediate net gains than for developmental activities
C) They are reluctant to maintain the shopkeeper mentality
D) They are less concerned for payment of dividends to shareholders
E) None of the above
22. The leading industrialist attributes industrial sickness mainly to
A) lacunae in five-year plans
B) preoccupations of managers with matters unrelated to business
C) higher profits and larger dividends to shareholders
D) lack of foresight among managers
E) inflation and other economic problems
23. According to the passage, growth and increasing productivity lead to
A) imposition of restrictions on imports
B) employment and thus provide an outlet to industrial and consumer products
C) encouragement to export of excess consumer goods
D) disproportionate surplus of commodities
E) None of the above
24. Why did Hentry Ford stress the need for a more stable middle class ?
A) They are mostly service oriented
B) They do not have shopkeeper mentality
C) They can afford to buy more and more expensive goods
D) They are most unstable
E) None of these
25. The planning horizon has hardly ever exceeded five year’s implies
A) Planning should not be for a period of less than five years
B) The planning process is very time consuming
C) The planners are not inclined to think of future
D) Planning should take care of all probable ups and downs in the next five-year period
E) Five-year period is too short for successful implementation of plans.
26. According to the passage, the net gains pursued by managers are at the cost of
A) Diversification, modernisation and asset creation
B) Availability of markets for industrial and consumer products
C) Inflation and industrial sickness
D) Liberalisation of imports and increasing competition
E) Higher profits and larger dividends to shareholders
Directions 27-32: Pick out the most effective word from the given words to fill in the blank to make the sentence meaningfully complete.
27. She had just …… down when the telephone rang
A) laid B) lain C) lay
Ans : B
28. Thinking that the other candidate was more deserving for the post, I …… in his favour
A) stood down B) stood out C) stood over D) stood off
Ans : A
29. This building comprises …… sixty rooms
A) off B) to C) with D) of
Ans : D
30. She always runs short …… money
A) of B) by C) in D) to
Ans : A
31. Sunita decided to set …… some time every day for prayers
A) up B) in C) on D) aside
Ans : D
32. The Government agreed to pay compensation …… damaged crops, land and cattle.
A) of B) for C) to D) through
Ans : B
Section 2: QUANTITATIVE/LOGICAL REASONING (38 questions, 40 minutes)
1. Find the missing number in the series: 2, 5,__ , 19 , 37, 75
2. Find the fourth row, having the bit pattern as an integer in an 8-bit computer, and express the answer in its decimal value ?
A 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1
B 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 1
C 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1
3. Complete the series 2, 7, 24, 77,__
4. A power unit is there by the bank of the river of 750 meters width. A cable is made from power unit to power a plant opposite to that of the river and 1500mts away from the power unit. The cost of the cable below water is Rs. 15/- per meter and cost of cable on the bank is Rs.12/- per meter. Find the total of laying the cable.
Ans. Rs. 22,500
5. In a two-dimensional array, X (9, 7), with each element occupying 4 bytes of memory, with the address of the first element X (1, 1) is 3000; find the address of X (8, 5).
6. In the word ORGANISATIONAL, if the first and second, third and forth, forth and fifth, fifth and sixth words are interchanged up to the last letter, what would be the tenth letter from right?
7. What is the largest prime number that can be stored in an 8-bit memory?
8. The size of a program is N. And the memory occupied by the program is given by M = square root of 100N. If the size of the program is increased by 1% then how much memory now occupied?
9. A man, a woman, and a child can do a piece of work in 6 days. Man only can do it in 24 days. Woman can do it in 16 days and in how many days child can do the same work?
10. In which of the system, decimal number 184 is equal to 1234?
11. If TAFJHH is coded as RBEKGI then RBDJK can be coded as?
12. A power unit is there by the bank of the river of 750 meters width. A cable is made from power unit to power plant opposite to that of the river and 1500mts away from the power unit. The cost of the cable below water is Rs.15/- per meter and cost of cable on the bank is Rs.12/-per meter. Find the total of laying the cable.
Ans : 1000
13. In Madras, temperature at noon varies according to -t^2/2 + 8t + 3, where t is elapsed time. Find how much temperature more or less in 4pm to 9pm.
Ans: At 9pm 7.5 more
14. The size of the bucket is N kb. The bucket fills at the rate of 0.1 kb per millisecond. A programmer sends a program to receiver. There it waits for 10 milliseconds. And response will be back to programmer in 20 milliseconds. How much time the program takes to get a response back to the programmer, after it is sent?
15. If VXUPLVH is written as SURMISE, what is SHDVD?
16. If A, B and C are the mechanisms used separately to reduce the wastage of fuel by 30%, 20% and 10%. What will be the fuel economy if they were used combined.
17. A Flight takes off at 2 A.M from northeast direction and travels for 11 hours to reach the destination, which is in northwest direction. Given the latitude and longitude of source and destination. Find the local time of destination when the flight reaches there?
Ans: 7 am
18. A can copy 50 papers in 10 hours while both A & B can copy 70 papers in 10 hours. Then for how many hours required for B to copy 26 papers?
19. A 2D array is declared as A[9,7] and each element requires 2 byte. If A [1,1] is stored in 3000. Find the memory of A[8,5] ?
20. A is twice efficient than B. A and B can both work together to complete a work in 7 days. Then find in how many days, A alone can complete the work?
21. A person was fined for exceeding the speed limit by 10 mph. Another person was also fined for exceeding the same speed limit by twice the same. If the second person was traveling at a speed of 35 mph, find the speed limit.
Ans: 15 mph
22. A bus started from bus stand at 8.00 am, and after 30 minutes staying at destination, it returned back to the bus stand. The destination is 27 miles from the bus stand. The speed of the bus is 18mph. In return journey bus travels with 50% fast speed. At what time it returns to the bus stand?
Ans: 11.00 am.
23. A restaurant bill is made up of the following: $12.50 for starters, $28.55 for main courses and $8.95 for deserts, plus a 15% service charge. How much is the bill?
A B C D E
$56.50 $57.50 $57.00 $59.50 $60.50
24. A team of eight lumberjacks cut an average of 15,000 cubic feet of timber in a week. How many cubic feet will four lumberjacks cut in four weeks?
A B C D E
30,000 25,000 32,000 16,000 28,000
25. A discount of 15% is offered on an item which previously cost $1.80. What is the discounted price?
26. Which of the following are orthogonal pairs?
a. 3i+2j b. i+j c. 2i-3j d. -7i+j
27. (Momentum*Velocity)/(Acceleration * distance ) find units.
28. In some game 139 members have participated every time one fellow will get bye what is the number of matches to choose the champion to be held?
29. one fast typist type some matter in 2hr and another slow typist type the same matter in 3hr. if both do combine in how much time they will finish ?
Ans: 1 hr 12 min
30. In 8*8 chess board what is the total number of squares ?
31. A person, who decided to go to weekend trip should not exceed 8 hours driving in a day. Average speed of forward journey is 40 m/h. Due to traffic in Sundays, the return journey average speed is 30 m/h. How far he can select a picnic spot?
Ans: 120 miles
30. A & B are playing a game. There are 8 oranges in a row on the table. one Player can take 1-4 oranges in a pick (a maximum of 4),one who picks the last orange wins the game. ‘A’ plays first How many oranges should he pick first time in order to win the game.
31. A salesperson multiplied a number and get the answer 3, instead of that number divided by 3. what is the answer he actually has to get?
Ans. is 1/3.
32. In a mixture, R is 2 parts, S is 1 part. In a order to make S to 25% of the mixture, how much R is to be added?
Ans: one part of R
33. With 4/5 full tank vehicle travels 12 miles, with 1/3 full tank how much distance travels
Ans: 5 miles
34. Two trees are there. one grows at 3/5 of the other in 4 years, total growth of trees is 8 ft. what growth will smaller tree will have in 2 years
Ans: < 2 ft.
35. Last year pandit was thrice his sister’s age. Next year he is only twice her age. After 5 years what is pandit’s age.
a) 2 b) 12 c) 11 d) 14
36. Box of 150 packets consists of 1kg packets and 2kg packets. Total weight of box is 264kg. How many 2kg packets are there
a) 96 b) 67 c) 100 d) 114
37. Satish earns 240 weekly. 12% of big amount + earning weekly = 540. What is the big amount?
a) 3200 b) 3600 c) 2500 d) 1000
38. Julia is twice older than qurban. If Julia was 4 years younger, qurban was 3 years older their diff. between their ages is 12 years. What is the sum of their ages?
a) 67 b) 57 c) 36 d) none
Section 3: CRITICAL REASONING (12 questions, 30 minutes)
Directions 1- 12 : Answer the questions given below the passage or statement as true, false or can’t say.
PASSAGE : Alphine tunnels are closed tunnels. In the past 30 yrs not even a single accident has been recorded for there is one accident in the rail road system. Even in case of a fire accident it is possible to shift the passengers into adjacent wagons and even the live fire can be detected and extinguished with in the duration of 30 min.
Answer questions 1-3 based on passage
1. No accident can occur in the closed tunnels
2. Fire is allowed to live for 30 min
3. All the care that travel in the tunnels will be carried by rail shutters.
PASSAGE : In the survey conducted in mumbai out of 63 newly married house wives not a single house wife felt that the husbands should take equal part in the household work as they felt they loose their power over their husbands. Inspite of their careers they opt to do the kitchen work themselves after coming back to home. the wives get half as much leisure time as the husbands get at the week ends.
Answer questions 4-6 based on passage
4. Housewives want the husbands to take part equally in the household
5. Wives have half as much leisure time as the husbands have
6. 39% of the men will work equally in the house in cleaning and washing.
PASSAGE : In the totalitarian days, the words have very much devalued. In the present day, they are becoming domestic that is the words will be much more devalued. In that days, the words will be very much effected in political area. but at present, the words came very cheap .We can say they come free at cost.
Answer questions 7-9 based on passage .
7. Totalitarian society words are devalued.
8. Totalitarians will have to come much about words
9. The art totalitarian society the words are used for the political speeches.
PASSAGE : In Confucius days the technology development was less and it took weeks to communicate a message. wherein we can send it through satellite with in no time. even with this fast developments it has become difficult to understand each other.
Answer questions 10-12 based on passage.
10. people were not intelligent during Confucius days
11. transport facilities are very much improved in now-a-days
12. even with the fast developments of the technology we cannot live happily.
Ans. can’t say
Tata Consultancy Services (TCS)
Tata Consultancy Services is an Indian multinational information technology services and consulting company, headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra and largest campus and workforce in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
Founded: 1 April 1968
Founders: Faquir Chand Kohli, Tata Sons, J. R. D. Tata