Company: Cognizant Technology Solutions
Here are the Latest Placement Papers from CTS. The sections here are Reasoning and English
ANALYTICAL SECTION (25 Q’s – 30 Minutes )
Questions 1-5: Out of forty students, there are 14 who are taking Physics and 29 who are taking Calculus. What is the probability that a randomly chosen student from this group is taking only the Calculus class?
Ans: 0.6 = 60%.
2. In town of 500 people, 285 read Hindu and 212 read Indian express and 127read Times of India 20 read Hindu and times of India and 29 read hindu and Indian express and 35 read times of India and Indian express. 50 read no news paper. Then how many read only one paper?
3. In a group of persons travelling in a bus, 6 persons can speak Tamil, 15 can speak Hindi and 6 can speak Gujarati. In that group , none can speak any other language. If 2 persons in the group can speak two languages and one person can speak all the three languages, then how many persons are there in the group ?
4. Out of a total of 120 musiciAns: in a club , 5% can play all the three instruments- Guitar, violin and Flute. It so happens that the number of musiciAns: who can play any two and only two of the above instruments is 30. The number of musiciAns: who can play the guitar alone is 40. What is the total number of those who can play violin alone or flute alone ?
5. In a town 65% people watched the news on television , 40% read a newspaper and 25% read a newspaper and watched the news on television also. What percent of the people neither watched the news on television nor read a news paper ?
Questions 6-10 : A secret can be told only 2 persons in 5 minutes .the same person tells to 2 more persons and so on . How long will take to tell it to 768 persons ?
a) 47.5 min
c) 500 min
Ans: 47.5 min
7. When I was married 10 years ago my wife is the 6th member of the family. Today my father died and a baby born to me. The average age of my family during my marriage is same as today. What is the age of Father when he died?
8. A son and father goes for boating in river upstream . After rowing for 1 mile son notices the hat of his father falling in the river. After 5 min. he tells his father that his hat has fallen. So they turn round and are able to pick the hat at the point from where they began boating after 5min. Tell the speed of river?
Ans: 6 miles/hr
9. There are three departments having students 64,58,24 .In an exam they have to be seated in rooms such that each room has equal number of students and each room has students of one type only (No mixing of departments. Find the minimum number rooms required ?
Ans: : 73
10. Argentina had football team of 22 player of which captain is from Brazilian team and goalki from European team. For remaining player they have picked 6 from Argentinean and 14 from European. Now for a team of 11 they must have goalki and captain so out of 9 now they plan to select 3 from Argentinean and 6 from European. Find out number of methods available for it.
Ans: : 160600( check out for right no. 6C3 (A) 14C6)
Directions for Questions 11-15 :Each question given below has a problem and two statements numbered I and II giving certain information. You have to decide if the information given in the statements are sufficient for Answering the problem. Indicate your Ans
(a) if the data in statement I alone are sufficient to Answer the question;
(b) if the data in statement II alone are sufficient to Ans: wer the question;
(c) if the data in either in I or II alone are sufficient to Ans: wer the question;
(d) if the data even in both the statements together are not sufficient to Ans: wer the question;
(e) if the data in both the statements together are needed;
11. How many visitors saw the exhibition yesterday?
I. Each entry pass holder can take up to three persons with him / her.
II. In all, 243 passes were sold yesterday.
12. How much was the total sale of the company?
I. The company sold 8000 units of product A each costing Rs. 25.
II. The company has no other product line
13. In what proportion would Raj, Karan and Altaf distribute profit among them
I. Raj gets two-fifth of the profit.
II. Karan and Althaf have made 75% of the total investment.
14. What time did the train leave today.
I. The train normally leaves on time
II. The scheduled departure is at 14.30.
15. On which day in January, Subhas left for Germany?
I. Subhas has so far spent 10 years in Germany.
II. Subhas’ friend Anil left for Germany on 15th February and joined Subhas 20 days after Subhas’ arrival.
Directions for Questions 16-20 : Convert the given binary numbers.
16. (1110 0111)2 = ( )16
17. (01011010)2=( )8
18. (11110000)2= ( )10
19. (11000101010000111)2=( )16
20. (01001110)2 = ( )8
Directions(21-25): a cube is coloured orange on one face , pink on the opposite face, brown on one face and silver on a face adjacent to the brown face. The other two faces are left uncoloured. It is then cut into 125 smaller cubes of equal size. now, Ans: wer the following questions based on the above statements:
21. How many cubes have at least one face coloured pink ?
22. How many cubes have all the faces uncoloured ?
23. How many cubes have atleast two faces coloured ?
24. How many cubes are coloured orange on one face and have the remaining faces incoloured ?
A) 8 B) 12 C) 14 D) 16
25 How many cubes one coloured silver on one face , orange or pink on another face and have four uncoloured faces ?
A) 8 B) 10 C) 12 D) 16