Tata Consultancy Services Placement Paper
Company: Tata Consultancy Services (TCS)
Tata Consultancy Services conducts a multiple choice test. The test consists of four sections. The first section is the Verbal Section with 15 questions to be attempted in 6 minutes. The questions deal with words and their synonyms. You need a high level of vocabulary to do well in this part. The second section is a Quantitive aptitude section with 15 questions to be answered in 10 minutes. The questions deal with basic mathematics such as multiplication, percentages etc. This is the easiest among all the sections (try not to make silly mistakes). The third section is the Reading Comprehension section with 50 minutes to answer 60 questions. The fourth section is a 30 minutes Psychometric Test with 150 questions. These questions are generally simple personality based questions checking your ability to answer consistently. Usually only a Yes/No type answer is required for these questions.
Candidates clearing the test and the interview are further required to clear a paper based on C and COBOL. This paper consists of 50 questions and is MCQ format.
The test is followed by a Technical and a HR interview. The technical interview is highly specialized and covers almost all subjects you have done in your curriculum. However one is required to name his/her favorite subject on which most of the interview is focused. For Computer Engineers C, Operating Systems, DBMS, Microprocessors are mostly focused upon. Electronics Engineers can be grilled on DCLD, Microprocessors and Communications..
The HR interview which follows the technical interview is very general. The HR interview is also important. Mostly questions are asked to test your temperament. You maybe asked your opinion on a variety of current affair topics. We were asked about Homosexuality, Lesbianism (the movie FIRE), Kashmir , Genome Project etc. In some cases questions regarding the company are asked.
? Profile> Tata Consultancy Services started in 1968. Mr.F.C Kohli who is presently the Deputy chairman was entrusted with the job of steering TCS. The early days marked TCS resonsibility in managing the punch card operations of Tisco. The company, which was into management consultancy from day one, soon felt the need to provide solutions to its clients as well.TCS was the first Indian company to make forays into the US market with clients ranging from IBM,American Express, Sega etc. TCS is presently the top software services firm in Asia .
During the Y2K buildup, TCS had setup a Y2K factory in Chennai as a short-term strategy. Now, with E-business being the buzzword, the factory is developing solutions for the dotcom industries. Today, about 90 percent of TCS’ revenue comes from consulting, while the rest from products. TCS has great training facilities. In addition to training around 5 percent of the revenue is spent upon its R&D centers like the Tata Research Design and Development Centre at Pune, along with a host of other centers at Mumbai and Hyderabad .
It benchmarked its quality standing, invested heavily in software engineering practices and built intellectual property-in terms of patents, code and branded products. At the same time, it expanded its relationships with technology partners and organizations, increased linkages with academic institutions and incubated technologies and ideas of people within TCS and outside. TCS has already patented 12 E-Commerce solution product packages and has filed six more applications for patent licenses.
Over $25 million were spent on enhancing hardware and software infrastructure. The company now has 72 offices worldwide. As many as seven centers were assessed at SEI CMM Level 5 last year(3.4 mistakes in a million opportunities). These include Chennai, Mumbai, Bangalore , Calcutta , Hyderabad and Lucknow . Several business and R&D relationship with global firms like IBM, General Electric, Unigraphics Solutions have been made.
The present CEO of the company is Mr. S. Ramadorai. The companies strength is about 14,000.
For more information about this company visit their website at www.tcs.com
Verbal Section Directions for questions 1-15:
Find the synonyms of the following words
Ans. To request
Ans. To pile
1. If two pencils cost 8 cents, then how much do 5 pencils cost?
Ans. 20 cents
2. Some work is done by two people in 24 minutes. One of them can do this work alone in 40 minutes. How much time does the second person take to do the same work ?
Ans. 60 minutes
3. A car is filled with four and half gallons of fuel for a round trip.If the amount of fuel taken while going is 1/4 more than the amount taken for coming, what is the amount of fuel consumed while coming back?
4. The lowest temperature in the night in a city A is 1/3 more than 1/2 the highest during the day. Sum of the lowest temperature and the highest temperature is 100 degrees. Then what is the low temp?
5. Javagal, who decided to go to weekened trip should not exceed 8 hours driving in a day. The average speed of forward journey is 40 miles/hr.Due to traffic on sundays, the return journey’s average speed is 30 m/h. How far he can select a picnic spot?
a) 120 miles
b) between 120 and 140 miles
c) 160 miles
Ans. 120 miles
6. A salesperson by mistake multiplied a number and got the answer as 3, instead of dividing the number by 3.What is the answer he should have actually got?
7. A building with height D shadow upto G. What is the height of a neighbouring building with a shadow of C feet.
8. A person was fined for exceeding the speed limit by 10 mph. Another person was also fined for exceeding the same speed limit by twice the same. If the second person was travelling at a speed of 35 mph, find the speed limit.
Ans. 15 mph
9. A bus started from bustand at 8.00am, and after staying for 30 minutes at a destination, it returned back to the busstand. The destination is 27 miles from the busstand. The speed of the bus is 18mph. During the return journey bus travels with 50% faster speed.At what time does it return to the busstand?
10. In a mixture, R is 2 parts and S is 1 part. In order to make S to 25% of the mixture, how much of R is to be added?
Ans.One part of R
11. Wind flows 160 miles in 330 min, for travelling 80 miles how much time does it require?
Ans. 2 hrs 45 mins
12. With a 4/5 full tank a vehicle can travel 12 miles, how far can it travel with a 1/3 full tank
Ans. 5 miles
13. There are two trees in a lawn. One grows at a rate 3/5 of the other in 4 years. If the total growth of trees is 8 ft. What is the height of the smaller tree after 2 years
Ans. 1 1/2 feet
14. Refer to the figure below.A ship started from P and moves at a speed of I miles per hour and another ship starts from L and moving with H miles per hour simultaneously.Where do the two ships meet?
PG H I J K L are the various stops in between denoted by || . The values g, h, i, j, k, l denote the distance between the ports.
Ans. Between I and J, closer to J
15. If A is travelling at 72 km per hour on a highway. B is travelling at a speed of 25 meters per second on a highway. What is the difference in their speeds in m/sec.
Ans. 1 m/sec
Critical Reasoning Section
The critical reasoning section consists of some passages followed by 4 to 7 questions per passage. The questions are such that they require ability to read fast and comprehend. The questions asked in this section have three choices TRUE, FALSE, CAN’T SAY. Some examples of questions are given below. Please note that these passages are not the exact passages asked. The passages used a good deal of difficult words which have been removed in this reproduction. Also the passages appearing in the actual paper are much lengthier.
Directions: Answer the questions given below the passage or statement as true, false or can’t say.
PASSAGE A: My father has no brothers. He has three sisters who has two childs each.
Answer 1-5 based on the passage A
1.My grandfather has two sons .
2. Three of my aunts have two sons Ans. Can’t say
3. My father is only child to his father
4. I have six cousins from my mother side
Ans. Can’t say
5. I have one uncle
Ans. Can’t say(uncle can be from the mother’s side as well)
PASSAGE B: Ether injected into gallablader to dissolve colestrol based gallstones. This type one day treatment is enough for gallstones not for calcium stones. This method is alternative to surgery for millions of people who are suffering from this disease. Answer questions 6-9 based on passage B
6.Calcium stones can be cured in oneday
7. Hundreds of people contains calcium stones Ans. Can’t say
8. Surgery is the only treatment to calcium stones
9. Ether will be injected into the gallbleder to cure the cholestrol based gall stones
PASSAGE C: Hacking is illegal entry into another computer. This happens mostly because of lack of knowledge of computer networking. With networks one machine can access to another machine.Hacking go about without knowing that each network is accredited to use network facility. Answer questions 10-12 based on passage C
10. Hackers never break the code of the company which they work for Ans. Can’t say
11. Hacking is the only vulnerability of the computers for the usage of the data Ans. False
12.Hacking is done mostly due to the lack of computer knowledge
PASSAGE D: Alphine tunnels are closed tunnels.In the past 30 yrs not even a single accident has been recorded for there is one accident in the rail road system. Even in case of a fire accident it is possible to shift the passengers into adjacent wagons and even the live fire can be detected and extinguished with in the duration of 30 min. Answer questions 13-16 based on passage D
13. No accident can occur in the closed tunnels
14. Fire is allowed to live for 30 min
16. All the care that travel in the tunnels will be carried by rail shutters.
PASSAGE E: In the past helicopters were forced to ground or crash because of the formation of the ice on the rotors and engines. A new electronic device has been developed which can detect the watercontent in the atmosphere and warns the pilot if the temperature is below freezing temperature about the formation of the ice on the rotors and wings. Answer questions 17-20 based on passage E
17.The electronic device can avoid formation of the ice on the wings
18. There will be the malfunction of rotor & engine because of formation of ice
19. The helicopters were to be crashed or grounded
20. There is only one device that warn about the formation of ice
PASSAGE F:In the survey conducted in mumbai out of 63 newly married house wives not a single house wife felt that the husbands should take equal part in the household work as they felt they loose their power over their husbands. Inspite of their careers they opt to do the kitchen work themselves after coming back to home. the wives get half as much leisure time as the husbands get at the week ends. Answer questions 21-23 based on passage F.
21.Housewives want the husbands to take part equally in the household
22. Wives have half as much leisure time as the husbands have
23. 39% of the men will work equally in the house in cleaning and washing.
PASSAGE G:Copernicus is the intelligent. In the days of copernicus the transport and technology development was less & it took place weeks to comunicate a message at that time,wherein we can send it through satellite with in no time.Even with this fast developments it has become difficult to understand each other. Answer questions 24-27 based on passage G.
24. People were not intelligent during Copernicus days
25. Transport facilities are very much improved in noe a days
26. Even with the fast developments of the techonology we can’t live happily.
Ans. Can’t say
27. We can understand the people very much with the development of communication
PASSAGE H:Senior managers warned the workers that because of the intfoductors of japanese industry in the car market. There is the threat to the workers.They also said that there will be the reduction in the purchase of the sales of car in public.the interest rates of the car will be increased with the loss in demand. Answer questions 28-31 based on passage H.
28. Japanese workers are taking over the jobs of indian industry.
29.Managers said car interests will go down after seeing the raise in interest rates.
30. Japanese investments are ceasing to end in the car industry.
31. People are very interested to buy the cars.
PASSAGE I: In the totalitariturican days, the words have very much devalued. In the present day, they are becoming domestic that is the words will be much more devalued. In that days, the words will be very much effected in political area. but at present, the words came very cheap .We can say they come free at cost. Answer questions 32-34 based on passage I.
32.Totalitarian society words are devalued.
33. Totalitarians will have to come much about words
34. The art totalitatian society the words are used for the political speeches.
PASSAGE J:There should be copyright for all arts. The reele has came that all the arts has come under one copy right society,they were use the money that come from the arts for the developments . There may be a lot of money will come from the Tagore works. We have to ask the benifiters from Tagore work to help for the development of his works. Answer questions 35-39 based on passage J.
35. Tagore works are came under this copy right rule.
36. People are free to go to the public because of the copy right rule. Ans.Can’t say
38. People gives to theater and collect the money for development.
39. We have ask the Tagore resedents to help for the developments of art. Ans.Can’t say
Psycometric Test You don’t need to fret much about this test. This test consists of 150 questions and is just a pyshcology test which should be answered confidently and doesn’t require any preparation.One must try being consistent while answering as the same questions are repeatedly asked in different forms.Also one must answer all questions.Questions are of yes,no or can’t say kind.
1. Will you be interested in social activities.
2. While going upstairs do you move two steps at a time.
3. Can you make friends with people of the same sex or with opposite sex also
4. Your friends consider you as a leader in your group
5. People think that your’e serious minded.
6. There are times you feel dull without any reason.
7. You host several parties
8. When relatives come to your house do you entertain them.
9. You can work for long hours without tireness.
10. In your company you want to lead the organisation.
Verbal Section Directions for questions 1-15:Find the synonyms of the following words
Ans. Deflation, Depression, Devaluation, fall, slump in value
Ans. Feel and express disapproval of
Ans. Thing one encourages a person to do something
Ans. Level of authority or responsibility
Ans.To make changes or introduce new things
Ans. Externally stopping and then starting
Ans.To make less angry or more friendly
Ans.Conventional or superstitious
Ans.Liable to err
Ans.Clear or obvious
Ans. Suggest in addition to the fundamental meaning
Ans. Reverse, Opposite
Tata Consultancy Services Placement Paper